Covid-19 - Update

During this difficult period Permits2work is still open for business to help you with your Immigration needs. Our caseworkers are working from home, fully supported by our legal clerks who are still in the office.

Please call us for any assistance and please stay safe.

Brexit has been a major news topic ever since the referendum back in June 2016, and as a result has brought up many questions surrounding immigration. In particular, for EEA nationals who are already living and working in the UK, this can be a worrying time. The following 3 options could help protect you and your families from a hard line Brexit.

Registration Certificate

If you’re an EEA (European Economic Area) or Swiss national, you can apply for a document to prove your right to live in the UK. You will be eligible to apply if you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years and are a ‘qualified person’. This means you must be one of the following:

  • Working
  • Studying
  • Self-employed
  • Self-sufficient
  • Looking for work

You can also apply as the partner, child or family member of someone from an EEA country or Switzerland.

Permanent Residence

If you have lived in the UK for 5 continuous years, you will automatically have permanent residence status. However, if you want to confirm proof of this you can apply for a document which will show you have the legal right to live permanently in the UK. Once you have obtained this document, you will then be able to apply for British Citizenship.

British Citizenship

To apply for British citizenship, you must have held your permanent residence status for at least 1 year. This means that you must have lived in the UK for a total of at least 6 years.

If you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen, then you are able to apply immediately.

Becoming a British citizen gives you the full rights of a UK national and you will also be able to apply for a British passport.

If you require assistance in applying for Permanent Residence in the UK, please contact us on 01793 836 010 for an assessment of your situation.